Programs We Offer
Aging in Place
Blue Ridge Habitat for Humanity is offering older adults (62+) the opportunity to apply for critical home repairs or accessibility modifications. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to age with dignity in their own home and community.
The Blue Ridge Habitat for Humanity Aging in Place program makes accessibility, safety, energy efficiency and home improvements for seniors living in the City of Winchester and the counties of Frederick, Clarke and Shenandoah.
Examples of repairs for Aging in Place include:
- Installation of handrails and portable aluminum ramps
- Fitting bathrooms with accessible fixtures
- Minor electrical, heating, plumbing and roof repairs
- Porch repairs
Our goal is to help seniors live in their own homes longer and maintain their independence and quality of life. If you can answer YES to ALL of the following criteria, please contact Blue Ridge Habitat for Humanity using the inquiry form.
- Homeowner or someone in the household is 62 years of age or older
- Willing to go through the Aging in Place screening interview with Blue Ridge Habitat for Humanity
- Clarke, Frederick or Shenandoah County resident
- Does not exceed the maximum income limit
- Able to provide proof of income
- Own the house and the land where house is located
- Current on mortgage (if applicable) and real estate taxes
- Have the ability to pay based on a sliding scale (grant/loan funding may be available depending on income and veteran status)
- Willing to partner with Blue Ridge Habitat for Humanity
Please understand that this is NOT an emergency repair program; the application process and completion of repairs can take an undefined amount of time and is dependent on funding.
Interested in Volunteering?
Our Repair Program is unique in that no two projects are identical and many are volunteer-friendly. However, anyone over 16 years of age can volunteer and no experience is required. If you are interested in lending a hand, please click here to learn more.