2021 COVID-19 Update: The ReStore is open for volunteers! Slowly, we will be opening up for strategic volunteers on the build and repair sites. Fill out the volunteer interest form to stay in the loop! Perhaps there are other ways you can help the organization...
Building a home alongside other volunteers and partner families is a rewarding way of getting to know our community! Volunteers participate in construction on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 8:30 am until 2:00 pm. No construction experience is necessary, we’re here to help! We have a site supervisor and crew leaders on each construction site who will give you instructions and help you get started. These leaders will always be available to answer any questions and provide you with support throughout the day.
Construction Volunteer Policies
- Volunteers ages 16 and older are welcome on our construction sites!
- Volunteers must complete our Volunteer Waiver form. Download the Release of Liability Confidentiality Form.
- Volunteers ages 17 and under must also have a Parent/Guardian signature on their waiver form and are not authorized to use power tools.
What to Expect as a Construction Volunteer
- We provide an orientation and safety briefing before volunteers start working.
- Dress for the weather. No loose clothing. Closed-toed shoes are a must. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
- You may work alongside a Blue Ridge Habitat partner family.
- BRHFH provides safety gear, building materials, tools and supervision.
- We provide water.
Please note: A build day will only be canceled if the weather conditions or home build site are unsafe for volunteers and staff.
Volunteering as a Group
Community, faith, corporate, service, and other groups can sponsor an exclusive build day and volunteer as a group. Please see our Sponsorship Opportunities for additional information.
Faith, civic and community groups:
Please email the Volunteer Coordinator for further information. Or, call the office at 540.662.7066.
Please email the Volunteer Coordinator to begin the coordination process. Or, call the office at 540.662.7066.
- Volunteers Ages 16-17
- Minors 16–17 are allowed to participate in construction work, but are prohibited from: using power tools; being on ladders, scaffolding, or walk boards more than 4’ higher than surrounding area; being on platforms or decks without hand or guard rails when more than 4’ above surrounding area; and being on a roof or participating in roofing. Youth groups participating on a build site must have adult supervision. All minors must complete a liability waiver and have it signed by their parent or guardian.
- Volunteers Ages 15 and Under
- Minors 15 and under are not allowed on a construction site unless it is to bring food and drinks during the lunch break when there is no active construction.